Wednesday 15 January 2020

Gaslands!

It was only a matter of time before I started a new project and that may as well be at the beginning of the year. Cheetor's excellent blog introduced me to the game Gaslands! and I particularly liked how he had used the contents of the Hot Wheels advent calendar as a starting point for a load of 1:65 car converting craziness.

So I'm in. Up to my neck. I love converting and kit-bashing and trash-bashing so this is right up my desolate, post-apocalyptic highway. First of all I've already got a couple of 1:43 cars that would work for the game on a larger-than-Hotwheels-scale, namely my Fighting Fantasy Freeway Fighter and Helsreach Arrabella projects:





And for Christmas I received a 1:35 Tamiya half-track:


Which I've built:

And which is now in the process of getting a sci-fi/apocalyptic makeover. This will join the two previous vehicles to make my 28mm Gaslands team.

Of course I'm not stopping there. I found a bunch of my son's Hotwheels cars and I've started building another team in 1:65 scale, using some 40k bits and the excellent Implements of Carnage from NorthStar Figures. My first two cars:






Primed:


And undercoated in rust colours:


Oh and it won't stop there, here's the other cars I've collected to transform into post-apocalyptic Gaslands machines (you may notice a familiar looking orange car there...):


I shall keep you posted....

9 comments:

  1. Off to a flying start Stuart, and who doesn't love a bit of post apocalyptic road rage !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, its all the rage now! It's also a great way to utilise a load of bits from some leftover Airfix plane kits.

      Delete
    2. agreed it's the rage at the moment, my post apocalyptic range is one of my best sellers ! LOL

      Delete
    3. Oh! Tell me more Dave, what's your store so I can have a look?

      Delete
  2. Jumping on the bandwagon hey 😁😉.
    A fabulous start, though I now kind of would like to see how far you would've gotten in 28mm scale.
    Your first two Hot Wheels conversions are amazing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Wouter. I'm still converting the half-track and I've actually got a couple of other 1:43 vehicles I could use, so perhaps I might do some more 28mm stuff.

      Delete
  3. Those two cars look terrible in the assembly picture, the patchwork stage of conversions, but as soon as they're primed they look great. Look forward to seeing what you make with the rest of your car collection as I liked your FF Freeway Fighter project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the priming stage really does unify the patchwork approach of the conversions. I'm trying out the salt/rusting technique, will share how that goes. I'm tempted to do another iconic sci-fi vehicle to accompany the Freeway Fighter, we'll see how I get on.

      Delete
  4. Interesting choices you made here. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete