Saturday 31 October 2020

A Halloween Night Horror

I've had this mini in my collection for a very long time and decided, on the eve of Halloween to paint it up (there's also a competition on the Night Horror and Gothic Horror Facebook page which helped motivate me). 


I've tried out a black background for my photographs for the first time too, for added spooky darkness.



This old Night Horror wraith came to me broken, the scythe was missing and so a suitable old, rusty replacement sword was located (I think this is from the Mantic skeleton sprue) and I placed the sword where the hands would be, trying to make it look like it was being held by the unseen, supernatural force of the wraith. 


The paint job was so easy. Primed black, zenithal through grey and a touch of white from above and then several washes of nuln oil to make the zenithal blend together. Then quote simply a few highlights of grey/blue on the robes and a final glaze of a black. Gloss varnish applied inside the jood. The rusty sword was boltgun metal washed with bestial brown and then part bestial brown and part ryza rust. Edge highlights with chainmail. Perhaps 30minutes all in including the base. 

Makes me want to gather all my other undead and see if there is a start of a quick army there....

6 comments:

  1. Great work on the wraith Stuart and very atmospheric photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, I think the photos may be a little too dark to see the painting though. I'll experiment further with this as I start painting more undead

      Delete
  2. As the page loaded my first thought was "whoa! is that an unreleased night horror wraith variant I've never seen before?" .. wicked convertion, nicely painted, and a lovely spooky pic .. good call with the added skull on the base.

    I have this miniature with scythe but mine snapped underneath the robes, its now very secure, repinned and the pin hidden with green stuff blended into the robes .. I hope your night horror inspires you to raise your undead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary! I think you made a pretty nice job on this one. Well spotted and better executed!

    ReplyDelete