Tuesday 9 June 2015

Tutorial: Orc skin painting guide

I thought I'd offer another painting tutorial as a few people have mentioned my Orc and Goblin Army and the recipe I used to make browny/green Orcs. Here's an example of an Orc Shaman I painted a few years back:
Image
 
And here are the steps to get there:

Image
1. The converted model ready for painting.


Image
2. Primed black, with Graveyard Earth basecoat. I now use Baneblade Brown which is a silmilar coloured brown.
 

Image
3. Apply a very dilute Brown Ink wash (I now use Aggorax Earthshade). Re-apply Graveyard Earth over the areas which are to be highlighted, i.e those that are raised.

Image
4. Two/three highlights of Graveyard Earth < Rotting Flesh. I still have some Rotting Flesh, but perhaps Nurgling Green would be a substitute? I thin my paints so that they are transluscent enough to leave some of the underlying colour to show through. This helps "blend" the subsequent layers easily.
 


Image
5. Apply a very dilute Green Ink wash (with a touch of washing up liquid mixed in to help the flow).

Image
6. Re-work some of the extreme highlights if needed.

 

Image
7. And finishing up with the details. Adding some Gloss Varnish to under the nose, in the eyes and inside mouth to make them look wet.  Some very dilute Elf Flesh to the lips (sometimes I add this to the end of the nose and on the cheeks too to give a slightly ruddy complexion). And a highlighted purple tongue.

 
 
Image
8. The finished model. Ta da!
 

So if you've got some unpainted Orcs in your paint queue and you're tempted to avoid the usual Greenskin colour recipes, try this out and see if it works for you. Good luck!



 
 
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment