Tuesday 8 December 2020

Wip Diseased Flagellants

I don't tend to show too many WiP shots on here, (Instagram is my vehicle for that) but I've particularly enjoyed the creation of these first few Diseased Flagellants for my Lost and the Damned Nurgle Army. In advance of creating these, I arranged all my bits and selected those that would best fit in with the theme of diseased flagellants - so vaguely humanoid, bloated, undead, spiked balls and flails etc bits were set aside. And then I started to build..
Here's all 7 with their leader.
Some Plaguebearer, Nurgle, Flagellant and Bretonnian bits here
Poxwalker torso, Empire head and Mantic ghoul legs
LotR Goblin body and a plague cart head (probably my favourite - it really has that pathetic aesthetic that I like)
Flagellant torso and bits with a beastman head
Cawdor (?) torso, flagellant head and poxwalker leg
Mostly flagellant bits with an old Chaos Knight banner. Not sure where the head is from for this one, but I like the sadistically stitched facial features.
After the initial build and greenstuffing was complete I then tried something a little different - applying texture straight to the conversion prior to painting. To do this I used some Agrellan Earth for the cracked texture (usually on skin), some Typhus Corrosion and Astrogranite for the texture where the rust will go and some pva and bits of static grass for, well, grass and hair and matted matter on weapons. We shall see how they look when painted... I also used this opportunity to go dark with my photos, so you will see a first time in using a black back drop and decreasing the brightness and saturation when editing the photos. makes them a little more grimdark. This will be a unit of 49 (so Nurgle going 7x7) but will include a war altar/shrine in the middle. I'm introducing a new model a day for advent on Instagram, if you're interested in seeing more there (makingasmallerworld) or wait here until I've got all the conversions made up for an update. All the best!

13 comments:

  1. Excellent looking conversions Stuart, and great use of textures on the build as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I'm really looking forward to getting them painted and ranked up on their movement tray...

      Delete
  2. I adore each of these! The "pathetic one", the one with the claw and the one with the book are my favourites. They look like they were a blast to put together. Yeah the one with the claw is awesome! Look forward to seeing how you tackle the paint job with the pre-applied textures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I'll be having some difficult decisions about which of these will be lining up in the front rank!

      Delete
  3. Excellent kitbashing conversions, they look thoroughly unpleasant and disturbingly sinister. Encountering beings like these are not good for your mental health, no wonder you could lose your sanity in WHFRP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These guys cannot even remember what sanity was like. I've been a bit influenced by Darkest Dungeon with these and the descent into madness!

      Delete
  4. Been following these on Instagram, phenomenal work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. There will be about 25 individual Flagellants plus a war shrine on a large base to make the unit 49, so lots more to come!

      Delete
  5. Eeeek! (That's a compliment!) Really interesting choices you made here, I'd love to see them finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! I've converted them all up now and undercoated so the painting can begin...

      Delete
  6. Spectacular! I too have begun a 3rd ed Nurgle army which has continued for meny many years. I now have the plague cart and the zombies ready to paint, as well as an aclectic lot of flagellants, metal and plastic to for into some sort of diseased group. Thanks for some further inspiration.

    ReplyDelete