Wednesday 8 January 2020

Coffee-stirrer noticeboard

Happy New Year! My last post of 2019 was about how a bit of pre-made scenery can save some time (and when painted up can fit in fine alongside scratchbuilt scenery). My first post of 2020 is about a piece of scratch-built scenery that was very quick to make and made entirely out of coffee-stirrers (and a little bit of wallpaper)' the town's noticeboard! I thought it would make a great addition, a place where adventurers can find tasks and missions and where the obligatory "wanted" posters can be found.




Now this idea to make it entirely out of coffee-stirrers was indeed someone else's original idea that I found on the internet and which I cannot now re-find to give the designer his/her credit. Apologies for that. But it inspired me to create my own:



Aside from cutting lots of different lengths of coffee stirrers and using wood-glue to join them, I also used a bit of old wallpaper for the texture on the floor (it look just like flagstones and will be something that I will be using much more extensively going forwards - again it saves time over sculpting bases with greenstuff - and is cheaper!) and used the flat, reverse side for the messages. Very thin wire was cut for the pins that hold the messages in place.

All in all this was probably a two hour piece of work from construction to painting. Which has given me some time to start two new projects; one is hinted at on the noticeboard and the other is Gaslands! More on that on my next post....

16 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking notice board, the best tables I've seen have a happy mix of bought and scratch built scenery on them, and this board is no different. Excellent work all round !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, I've got quite a few bought and scratchbuilt pieces on the go, so hopefully the board will be fully populated before too long.

      Delete
  2. Great addition to your growing townscape. I like the pictures before the paint and after you've done your magic, a nice little build everyone should all have a go at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellesse and agreed small projects are great to have that sense of achievement that something is completed amongst all of our larger ongoing projects!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Cheers mate, sometimes the quicker and smaller pieces add a fair bit of character and narrative to a scene

      Delete
  4. A great piece of scenery and the TWW-03 wizard from Wargames Foundry is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Phil and well identified with the time warped wizard. I thought it looked like he was pointing out a particular mission on the notice-board for an adventurer friend.

      Delete
  5. Awesome. And great choice of miniatures too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Fimm; it was quite fun to rummage around for a couple of interesting and underused (by me) miniatures to add a bit of life to a piece of scenery!

      Delete
  6. That's clever! I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take any credit for the idea, but it still involved some problem solving in order to get the thing to look decent (and actually work!)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful little addition, very simple and clever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only bit that wasn't particularly simple was cutting the angles of the roof and the angles where it adjoined the noticeboard itself. It's a little bit messier beneath the roof, but you can't see that from my photos!

    ReplyDelete