Friday, 26 May 2017

Frostgrave Bestiary Challenge: Wolves

Just 3 Marauder wolves lined up for you. White undercoats, wet blended with greys, browns and yellows; highlighted up and details in the facial features added.

Important note: check Google images in advance, I wasn't expecting lighter underbelly's which goes against my normal painting logic (ie all darker colours are underneath because the sun is above).

Tuesday, 23 May 2017

Modular Terrain Board 1

Having planned 9 modular tiles, I've finally finished the first one! It didn't actually take too long (apart from all the engraving, but I worked on small sections at a time) but I've been busy with lots of other things and had to let my hobby projects fit in around them. The engraving was time consuming but the construction and painting were super quick. I haven't taken step by step photos of this tile, largely because I was solving problems as I went along, but I will for the next tile (which is already underway), so expect a tutorial soonish..

So here is the finished tile, the scenery at the back can be removed for storage purposes, or if I just want to re-position it:

Here are a few WIP shots so you can see the basic construct prior to painting:

And finally some shots of the tile populated with some of my scenery and a few miniatures for interest:

Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Making ruins from a strawberry box

Yep, following on from my ruined temple, I made this burnt-out ruined building:

From this strawberry box which I salvaged just before it was about to be thrown. 

Made from a sturdy MDF, I reinforced the joins with some pva, cut a few of the walls down with a hacksaw to make a less symmetrical shape and then added some details with a combination of extruded polystyrene, coffee stirrers, match sticks, balsa wood, polyfilla and sand:

The whole thing was undercoated with grey aerosol primer, washed with a watered down, dark grey acrylic house paint, highlighted up with drybrushed lighter greys (a range of sample pots I had from B&Q) and then areas sprayed again with black aerosol (to make a burnt look where the wooden areas were) and then weathered with a range of greens, ochres and browns:

Finally some scatter material (leaves and bits of moss were added) and then some posters were pva'd onto the walls.