Saturday 23 May 2020

28 Plague Zombies and Plague Cart (185pts)

The diversity of the Nurgle Army list in the Lost and the Damned tome, is one of the most appealing features in my desire to create an army from it. I love the Zombie concept and the list allows me to have a unit of them amongst my Nurgle legions. I'm not a fan of any of the GW zombies, whether lead or plastic, past or present, but I am a massive fan of the Mantic variety and about 5 years ago I bought a load of them and skeletons in some deal. 
They really are a very good plastic kit, the multi part element gives lots of options and with a little imagination in reposing you can easily create that wandering, shambling horde look as the zombies stumble towards their prey enmasse. I'd painted about 10 of them back then and now 5 years later, I've finished the other 17, the Sorcerer and the movement tray. The painting was over the top of a white undercoat and was comprised of a succession of washes and glazes of yellows, browns and greens and then for blood, purples, browns, blacks and reds. 



Here you can see a wip photo of the painting process, as well as the variety of shambling poses:



Zombies generally need a Necromancer to animate them so I've included the option for a level 10 Undead Hero, which in this case, for narrative reasons, is an Undead Nurgle Sorcerer.


Now this is far from my favourite ever Nurgle model, but I had it for some reason in my bitz box and decided to try and improve it. Off went the silly, crooked hood and over the top staff and a horn and skull were added respectively. 

The Lost and the Damned also allows for skeletons, but I'm not keen to include them, I don't want this to be too similar to an undead army, however it does allow for a Plague Cart, for free (!) which of course is very NURGLESQUE and can be part of the Calvalcade that I have in mind later for this army. This was painted a few years ago for the annual Deadcember competition and I was lucky enough then to win a prize for it, a Zombie dragon. But that's for another day and another army... 


So 28 Plague Zombies + Level 10 Undead Hero + Plague Cart =185pts.

The current cumulative total for the army now exceeds 2000pts at 2055pts. 

Until next time...  


12 comments:

  1. Nice addition to your RoC army, those zombies are far more creepy than most out there. I like the necromancer's new staff, and now I know what floppy hat concealed ... Nurgle's horn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellesse, some don't like the hands in the air pose and I've tried to keep that at a minimum but I do like the twisted, reaching out that they have. Glad you appreciate the revealed horn!

      Delete
  2. Sorcerers staff looks way better than stock. Really nice undead mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dai. I've got much more confident in removing bits of a sculpt I don't like and then backing myself to improve it. Obviously I don't share the failed attempts that came first, but perhaps I should when I begin a future conversion

      Delete
  3. Those look absolutely fantastic Stuart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ivor, they were great to put together and paint, such a wonderful sprue. Get some if you can!

      Delete
  4. Lovely! Well, if 'lovely' is the word :D
    Great stuff, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber. These are some of my favourite ever plastic sculpts, so it's very easy to be motivated to paint to paint them.

      Delete
  5. It’s surprising how well the mantic figs blend in with the older citadel. Good eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully Mantic didn't make them too big, so the scale works with older Citadel. Of course the same palette and basing tends to unify disparate manufacturers. Cheers!

      Delete
  6. I also love those Mantic zombies, but every time I come across them I can't help but wonder: what the hell happened to every single miniature they released since then? You certainly did them justice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true, everything has been disappointing for me since the release of this zombie kit, I've not been tempted to buy anything else from Mantic.

      Delete