Tuesday 21 July 2020

2 Chaos Spawn (50pts)


From the largest pointed unit (1200 for the Plaguebearers) to the smallest, a couple of Spawn at 25pts each. In the LatD these are described more as a pack as can (and probably should) be led by a Champion of Chaos, so eventually I'd like to do a converted spawn made up of lots of bits from my box and add him to these two and add a leader to marshall them around the battlefield.




Obviously these two are both classic Citadel miniatures, the left model being an old Plague Elemental and the right one being a Spawn of Nurgle, the latter having a slight conversion in removing the funny legs that came with it and sculpting some tentacles there instead. Both these old models though suffer from the perpendicular restraints of sculpting from that time, so when faced from the front both models look quite flat and symmetrical (although with the slug spawn you can reposition the tentacles on it's head to create more dynamic movement) and hence why I've photographed them both on the angle.






For this Beast of Nurgle I did a little research on slugs to get the correct colour scheme and used a little gloss varnish to capture the slimy nature of it's body. You will notice the basing on both models is slightly different from the rest of the army, in that there are a collection of organic shapes molded into the landscape, the idea behind this is based on the premise that:

 "the very proximity of a Beast is sufficient to kill small animals and plant.... or may age and decay perceptibly in their presence" (LatD p.20)

So a collection of small bitz from the box were impressed into some milliput and sculpted into the base to give the appearance of a dying, organic mass surrounding the model as it moves forward.




With the Plague Elemental I also experimented further with some skin painting techniques. Over a white undercoat I painted all the pinks with Contrast paints and highlights. Over this I then mixed some crackle medium into the pale green colouring of the skin and dabbed this onto areas where I wanted to create a peeling, cracking skin effect over the pink, exposed areas.


And to finish here's a group shot of the army including the most recent units for a cumulative total of 4405pts



Next up are some kitbashed Nurgle Beastmen, using mostly plastic kits...




15 comments:

  1. Excellent work on these classic models Stuart, they fit really well with the Nurgle theme. For your third spawn model have you considered making a Tzentch character into a spawn as they are rival chaos gods and would be the ultimate insult ( once did this to a Khorne berserker for a Slaneesh army !)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Dave, wish I'd thought of that! I think I now know how to model my Nurgle BSB; riding a tzeentch spawn mount!

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a plan Stuart ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, these are fantastic. The plague elemental is a mini I've never seen before and it's excellent. The light colouring, cracked skin and areas of pink all give it a magnificently horrible look. I always thought the The Beast of Nurgle was an odd-looking mini (says a guy who's got some Oldhammer Slaanesh Fiends) but your paintjob has really made it pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mut. It is a bit of a strange model, there's a bit of forward movement with the slug body bending to push forward but nothing to the left and right. The tentacles on its head are perhaps a bit overkill too, but it does have its charm in the face I feel and I like the frilly edges to the slug body.

      Delete
  3. My favourite Nurgle miniature - the original Beast of Nurgle (I have one too). A great mini with a great backstory of an enthusiastic creature bounding excitedly to greet new friends, which promptly die from contact with the toxic beast, bored of lifeless playthings it bounds off to make new friends.. always makes me smile.

    Nice to see a plague elemental, I like what you did with it. Love the army shot, looking very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The backstory is indeed great, I should have mentioned more of it here. Not only that relentless enthusiasm it sees in friend and foe, literally smothering them in toxic affection,but also how it leaves a nice trail of Nurgles Rot behind it too, infecting others in its wake. It sounds Like an eager to please puppy leaving a trail of poop!

      Delete
    2. haha yeah, Grandfathers deadly puppy

      Delete
  4. Both are some of my fav Nurgle sculpts and I really like the schemes you went with them. Really nice work mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dani, they really are great, classic sculpts. I have to admit I was tempted to cut them open and reposition them in less flat and straightforward poses, but decided it would take too long!

      Delete
  5. Two of my favourite models there, and they look fantastic! That crackle effect on the Plague Elemental works really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ross, yes I was pleased with the crackle effect too. Only problem being that it's quite delicate after drying so not ideal to work on with extra highlights etc.

      Delete
  6. Wonderfully gribbly additions to a grotesquely awesome army! Weird coincidence: I saw a massive slug with exactly the same colouration as that Beast of Nurgle the other night in my garden.

    ReplyDelete