Thursday 20 August 2020

Building some houses

Just before I went on a caravanning holiday with the family around the UK, I made these houses to populate my modular board.


They're both lasercut mdf sets that I picked up for a good price and decided that I should take a break from completing my Nurgle Army (before I burnt out with that project) and sit down with my son and construct and improve these. So we did the assembly together with lots of pva, elastic bands to keep things in place and some coffee.


After assembly my boy decided that one of the buildings should be a shop - we conferred on an Armoury and we then searched my bits box for details to adorn the building. I also wanted to pimp up the kit, the mdf buildings lack detail but more importantly texture. So some polyfilla was added to the walls, cardboard tiles were added and some sand for mossy areas too.


The function of the second building was definitely decided by me. Whilst rummaging around for bits for the previous model, I found a naked dancing girl from Hasslefree and though it would be a perfect sign for a medieval "club". This was placed just above the entrance door. The same texturing and detailing process also took place on this building. 



And then we went onto the painting. Both were undercoated black and then grey from above. Lots of washes of cheap acrylic paint later, followed by some drybrushing and finally some weathering and the buildings were done! As always it was the painting of all the beams that took the most time.



Back to the painting of some miniatures next...
 

20 comments:

  1. Great looking buildings Stuart, all the extra detail has certainly elevated these buildings, and great to see your son getting involved as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. It was fun getting my boy to think through some of the problem solving of building a kit without instructions. He worked out to do a dry fit first!

      Delete
  2. Excellent upgrading of those kits. The finished buildings look brilliant. Very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Pawn Cocktail, a little extra prep and knowhow from years of model making have, I think, made the difference here.

      Delete
  3. Love your models. As for painting the beams, I use balsa which I stain with sepia ink and then put this on the model which I have already covered with polyfilla. A dry brush of white and it looks weathered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers that's a good tip with the beams. I should definitely paint them before attaching next time.

      Delete
  4. They look superb, really well constructed and the painting is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mut, I'm definitely an advocate of a little extra prep makes the painting easier and quicker.

      Delete
  5. Pimped out indeed! Really like these and the dancing girl is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those light bulb moments when rummaging around my bitz box (I get way too many ideas and pleasure when doing this!)

      Delete
  6. I find it particularly interesting how you textured all the different areas. They really look different. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Previously I've tried to make up for a lack of texture through painting techniques such as dabbing, but it never works as well as paint over actual texture

      Delete
  7. Great additions to your town. Its inspiring to see someone take an otherwise bland mdf kit and transform it into a characterful building I'd love to own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellesse. I'm going for a scratch built ruins next, made from individual foam bricks as a new technique to explore.

      Delete
    2. I look forward to seeing the results and where it takes you. Seen some brilliant things made with individual bricks over the years, got a feeling this is going to be exciting.

      Delete
  8. Cheers Michal, it's coming together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff Stuart! Absolutely brilliant little details throughout 😀

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work! The added textural elements have done a perfect job in disguising the flat lasercut surfaces. I really love the mossy damp feeling that you've managed to create with all the green and mouldy patches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those additions really do make all the difference, really worth going the extra mile on those !

    ReplyDelete