I went for my usual slightly rusting metal look and decided to have some exploration of how to work mostly with browns for their clothing, including a range of different leather appearances on the hide shield to the left.
Here's the crew all posing their best pose for the photoshoot:
I again experimented with the verdaccio style of under-painting skin tones green, thinking I could refine it and speed it up from my previous attempts on Thrud. Which I think I managed, but make your own mind up; the process:
1. Over a white undercoat I liberally applied some Camoshade with a touch of washing up liquid to help it flow. (no photo here)
2. I then built up a series of lighter highlights, adding white to the Camoshade in the raised areas
3. Then over the highlighted green I applied a very dilute glaze of a Citadel Contrast flesh tone. This was made up of some of the paint, some additional water, medium and a touch of washing up liquid. Here you can see it halfway through application.
4. I then highlighted up with some very thin applications of a very pale flesh tone (Elf Flesh and a lot of white, thinned)
5. I then reapplied a few glazes of warmer reds over the nose, lips, ears and cheeks, elbows and knuckles. Basically those areas that looked too pale and needed warming up.
6. A small, very dilute purple wash in the eye sockets and then I could work on all the details.
And there we go! I have five more models to go for the warband - I would like to do a Frazetta inspired conversion of a Barbarian leader on a sabre toothed tiger and I already have a couple more old Citadel sculpts and a converted shaman ready to paint next, so until next time...